Yesterday, a heated 'discussion' almost broke out between me and Mr. Azmi regarding the issue of academic achievement.
He felt (or that is what I heard from him) that academics are a little over-rated. He criticised the idea of isolating oneself (me) from the 'temptation' of other activities, so that one can 'mug' all day which one will most probably not do.'What happen to the idea of destressing every once in a while?', he asked. He said that it is unfair that the arts are being neglected and academics being given first priority in all situations.
It is indeed that I will not "mug". But FOR ME, I feel that by involving myself in such performances, even the thought of performing, can steer my focus away. I do de-stress, but through other means such as listening to music and stretching : ) , but physically preparing yourself to study is one aspect of studying, mental preperation is another. As much I would want to perform, I feel that it is too risky for me. How should I put it. I will feel troubled and burdened with the thought of constantly having to remember the steps or fear being humiliated in the eyes of the public.
With regard to his comment on academics being over-rated, then I have to say, that is the sad reality in Singapore.
In my personal and honest opinion, each day of studying counts and can affect your results at the end of the day.
Taking into consideration Singapore's highly-competitive education system, for a person like me, who want to suceed in Singapore, cannot afford to miss a day of studying. I am up against a group of elite geniuses, fighting to win a spot in NUS Medicine. With my results as they are, I cannot even think about the school at all.
A few months back, I watched a video. It says that we are living in exponential times and that in a few decades time, we would be living side by side with robots and create computers that will have the same capabilities as a normal humans. I do not disagree with that.
Lastly, are our academic achievements over-rated. Well, it depends. I put my academics first priority because my road in life steers in that direction. My academics is an important factor in the career I wish take in the future. That is because of MY decision. But I do agree that parents are pushing their children in this similar direction because of the simple reason that it IS the "SAFEST" and easiest route to success. Singapore's arts industry is not to great in comparison to other industries like healthcare and IT. But, I do applaud those who are courageous and steer through the unconventional road to success.
In conclusion, I admit that I may seem like another mindless and brainwashed student but this is not true. I had experienced Self-discovery and have accepted that fact that this is the road that I need and want to take.
In response to the whole performance issue, I guess I would have to submit. If I back down, poor (Abg) Amirul would have to take the fall as well. : (
Labels: Draft
<$I18NNumComments$>:
<$CommentPager$>
-
<$I18NCommentAuthorSaid$>
-
- <$BlogCommentDateTime$>
<$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$>
<$CommentPager$>
<$BlogCommentBody$>
<$BlogItemCreate$>
<$BlogItemFeedLinks$>
:
@ <$BlogBacklinkDateTime$>
<$BlogItemBacklinkCreate$>
<< Home