I don't know whether to be excited or in grief? o.o
I saw the debate team posting on ryan's blog, and i saw my name on it,
I had originally thought it wasn't confirmed.
To my horror, I went to the recess table's page and found out...
I AM ON THE TEAM O_O.
Truth to be told I am a little anxious based on last year's experienced.
Alot of incident happened last year, and albeit swallowing my pride and seeking immunity for this years selection to lecturing our oncoming sec 1s, I was determined to look forward.
I have been traumatised , in a way, by last year's events.
First, I was sooo demoralised when two non-cca people joined our MAIN OFFICIAL COMPETING DEBATE TEAM with the recomendation of our DEAR debate teachers : )
A few points I would like to re-iterate:
With all due respect...
1) DEBATORS AND SPEAKERS ARE TWO DIFFERENT THINGS
- A debators speech and a speaker's speech are different with their own prestige and respective pros and cons.
2) Being a speaker in YCSS JG Debate team although the cca is not popular is considered a prestigous spot in my honest opinion and should not be disrespected.
3) I do not like it when people notably non-cca people get this prestigious role over my precious debate members and peers when they have barely attended a single debate meeting and cannot even make it for pre-competition debate trainings and etc. Thus, in turn cannot write a proper debate speech or reply speech and expect the other team members to do it for them.
4) Even though some debate speakers may not be as affluent as these non-cca-recommended-people, they deserve it more and have worked hard enough for it and thus should not be blindly given out.
As a result, I had originally hoped to "retire" as a competing debator so as to allow other debators to gain the experience.
Since now I am part of the team,
I shall not hold back...
I cannot hold back...
I will not hold back...
I pray to god, that I will be still mentally ready for SYF and olevels.
Truth to be told, JGS (Julia Grabriels) is not an easy thing.
Heres how the cycle goes ..
NOTE: IMPORTANT FOR ALL YCSS DEBATORS ( if you are reading this -.- )
Saturday-Sunday: Motion comes out, All competing team members gets the notice and starts research and points brainstorming and basic speech introductions format crafting.
Monday: Debate meeting, all team members come together to share points. This is where the points distribution happens. Once all speakers have each of their corresponding points , the full speech crafting begins.
Tuesday: Speech (draft) point information hole detecting (look for holes in debate points)
Wednesday: FULL edited script should be done.
Thursday: FULL REHEARSAL and PRACTICE
Friday (morning): FULL rehearsal and etc;
Friday ( evenning): COMPETITION...
I hope all debators can follow this plan.. or at least try to..
Since we only have a few days to prepare..
Oh and a few things WE HAVE TO HAVE FOR DEBATE
1) Debate Speech Cards
2) Strings
3) Pencil/Pen for jotting down rebuttals
4) Bottle of water (just in case you are nervous or have to moisten your throat)
KEY IMPORTANT SKILLS IN DEBATE:
I have come to realise our niche which is our style.
OUr debate team have won majority of the Best Speaker's award for each debate in the past.
OUr flaws are of course ;
1) Contradictions (ahem ryan -.- )
2) Content-wise
I wish all debate members and competing member all the best for Julia Gabriels Debate Competition 2009! : )
Labels: Draft
<$I18NNumComments$>:
<$CommentPager$>
-
<$I18NCommentAuthorSaid$>
-
- <$BlogCommentDateTime$>
<$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$>
<$CommentPager$>
<$BlogCommentBody$>
<$BlogItemCreate$>
<$BlogItemFeedLinks$>
:
@ <$BlogBacklinkDateTime$>
<$BlogItemBacklinkCreate$>
<< Home